Monday, March 30, 2020

Well then... 3/31/20

As I write this blog post in my home office, one of my open browser windows is the live chat feature at the Schusterman library (where I work as a Graduate Assistant). There haven't been many questions coming in during these last two weeks, but we are ready to answer when they do!  Yes, I am working a shift from the comfort of my own home. The Covid-19 pandemic has now shut down all non-essential businesses and operations in the State of Oklahoma.

Are libraries "non-essential" institutions? If some are essential, what makes them essential? How will I prepare my daughter for the third grade, now that school is finished two months before the end of the year? What will happen to the economy? Why was the Unites States so slow to respond to this pandemic compared to other nations? Will I be able to find a job when I graduate at the end of this year? These are all questions that have been bobbing up and down in my consciousness for the last several days - all while I spend relatively a peaceful time at home with my family.

One burning question - if I was going to be able to complete my Spring internship - was thankfully answered this week. I received approval from the NSU IRB review board regarding my IRB application.  Over the next few weeks, students faculty and staff will receive a survey regarding their usage of the NSU libraries website. I will then look at the data and Dr. Louderback will help me publish the results, which will hopefully aid NSU librarians. Since it is all online, I should be able to complete this project without returning to the NSU campus.

The view from my virtual library.

No comments:

Post a Comment